Cal Grants - Crafton Hills College
Skip to main content

Cal Grant

Cal Grants

The California Student Aid Commission offers grants for which Crafton students are eligible to apply. The deadline to apply for these programs for the following year is March 2 and September 2. Students interested in this program must meet the published deadline; no exceptions are made. The deadline for transferring students is March 2nd, and community college students have a deadline of September 2nd. To apply students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a CA Dream Act application (CADAA) online. Apply for FAFSA at beginning October 1st. Cal Grants A,B & C are state-funded, need-based, grants given to California college students
and do not have to be repaid.

Dream Act Students may also apply for Cal Grants by completing the Dream Act Application anytime beginning October 1st of each year at

Cal Grant B assists students attending community colleges with living expenses and books.

Cal Grant C assists students with tuition and training costs for technical, occupational, vocational, or career training programs.

Students must be enrolled in six units to be eligible for Cal Grant, money is disbursed mid-semester. Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). 

Crafton Hills College students who have completed 16 degree applicable units will have their GPA
automatically calculated and submitted to CSAC.

Please be advised that any Cal Grant award offer is tentative and subject to the final approval of the State Budget Act.

AB540 Students: Under AB131, students who are registered as AB540 are entitled to receive Cal
Grants. Generally, students with valid SSNs should complete the FAFSA application and students without
SSNs should complete the California Dream Act application. Students who are not sure of which
application to complete are encouraged to begin with the California Dream Act Application (CADAA).
Preliminary CADAA questions will assist the student to determine the appropriate application to

Student With Dependents (SWD)

Student With Dependents FAQ

Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG)

You must receive a Cal Grant and be enrolled in 12-14.99 units to receive an additional $1298 per semester. If you are enrolled in 15+ units the amount is increased to $4000 per semester. 

College Grade Point Average (GPA) Information:

Community colleges are required to provide the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) with GPA data for students by March 2 and September 2 of each year. The most efficient way to submit GPAs is CSAC’s GPA Collection System. CHC securely transmits GPA data electronically to ensure prompt delivery and for tracking purposes. There are 2 types of GPAs uploaded to CSAC; these include college or community college GPAs and reestablished GPAs.

  • College GPAs or community college GPAs may only be calculated for students who have earned or received at least 16 semester units, or its equivalent, regardless of the grade received.
  • Reestablished GPAs may be calculated for students who have earned at least 16, but less than 24 semester units, or the equivalent, at a community college.

Students who have earned less than the required number of units at CHC, but have degree applicable units from another college may submit to the CHC Admission and Records Office (A&R) an official copy of their “other college” transcript. Students who do this need to request that the A&R Office evaluate the transcript and compute the GPA. These GPAs will be uploaded electronically as well.

NOTE: 24-25 FAFSA is available end of December, 2023. The March 2nd deadline has been moved to May 2nd for the 24-25 academic year.