Firefighter I Basic Training Academy
Overview of the Academy
The Crafton Hills Regional Fire Academy is one of the premier fire academies in Southern California designed to meet the State Fire Marshal’s Basic Skills requirements for Firefighter 1 & 2 Certifications. In most cases, the Firefighter 1 certification and Firefighter 2 Testing is a requirement to apply for the position of Firefighter. The Crafton Hills Regional Fire Academy is accredited through the California State Fire Marshal’s Office.
The 18-unit fire academy includes FIRET-115 (Firefighter 1 & 2 Basic Training Academy). The corequisite KIN/F-049 (“Basic Firefighter Physical Fitness”) will account for 2 of these 18 units. You must pass KIN/F-049 to pass the fire academy. You will earn the following diplomas in the academy: S-190, Fire Control 3, Fire Control 4A, Common Passenger Vehicle Rescue, Confined Space Awareness, and Firefighter Survival. Upon successful completion of testing, you will also receive your Firefighter I Certificate, and will have tested to the Firefighter 2 curriculum.
Week 1 of the academy consists of the Enhanced Skills and Performance Program (ESPP). This week places an emphasis on leadership, communication, physical fitness, and is designed to better prepare you for the rigorous academy ahead.
We hold two full-time academies per year. Spring academies will begin in mid-January and fall academies in mid-August. Each is 18 weeks long and the dates roughly match that of our college’s spring and fall semesters. The academy starts at 0600 and ends at approximately 1700 on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and occasional Wednesdays. You will not be excused from the academy to test with hiring departments.
Applications are accepted year-round. Acceptance into the academy is on a first-come, first-served basis. Unless otherwise specified, students with completed application packets will be placed immediately into the next available academy. Application packets must be complete and contain all documents when submitted.
The academy prerequisites are:
- Completion with a “C” grade or better for the following:
- Fire Protection Organization – CHC FIRET 100 or Equivalent
- Fire Prevention Technology – CHC FIRET 101 or Equivalent
- National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) card or California State License EMT Card that is valid through the graduation date of your academy.
- Successful completion of either a Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) or Biddle Physical Agility Test. Results are valid for one year from the time of the test and must remain valid through the graduation date of your academy.
- Completed Physician Clearance Form found in the "Documents" section of this page. This form is valid for two years from your examination date and must remain valid through the graduation date of your academy.
- Resume. A resume is required for your application to be considered “complete,” but its content does not factor into your acceptance. Chief Harold will use the resumes to gauge experience levels and build squads.
- Completed questionnaire found in the application packet. Your responses are required for your application to be considered “complete,” but the content does not factor into your acceptance. Chief Harold will use these responses to gauge experience levels and build squads.
- Fire Academy Application (pdf)
- Physician Clearance Form (pdf)
- Estimated Academy Costs (pdf)
- FIRET-100 and FIRET-101 Equivalent Courses (pdf)
|Academy #||Term||Vendor Day||Day 1 of Academy||Graduation Date||Spots Remaining||# on Waitlist|
|Academy 110||Spring 2024||January 3, 2024||January 16, 2024||May 17, 2024||11||0|
*In order to be considered for a particular academy, you must submit an application by 1200 one day prior to the Vendor Day for that academy.
*When a space becomes available in the academy and you are the next person to be called from the waitlist, please be informed that you have 48 hours to call us back to confirm that you want that space. If you do not call within 48 hours, we will call the next person and you will return to your original spot in the waitlist.
If you have any specific questions regarding the Fire Academy, contact Paige Dulay-Vega
or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Past Degree/Program Requirements
Course OfferingsBrowse Classes
Please see the College Catalog for additional information and requirements.