Fall 2020 Grading Options and Student Support Options Due to Covid 19
Skip to main content

Dear Students,

As COVID-19 case rates and hospitalizations continue to rise at an alarming rate, the faculty and staff of Crafton Hills College are concerned with your welfare and that of your loved ones. There have been reported cases of Crafton Hills College students and their families contracting COVID.

There are options available for students impacted by COVID. The following information is provided to facilitate a conversation with an instructor or counselor. 

What do I do if I am unable to complete my course due to COVID-19?  

Every situation is unique, so our best advice is to reach out to your Instructor or Counselor to explore options. You can request an Incomplete (I) Grade or Excused Withdrawal (EW). See details below for more information if you are sick because of COVID:

“I” (Incomplete) – The Incomplete Grade is instructor initiated.

  • An incomplete or “I” may be assigned at the discretion of the instructor when a substantial portion of the classwork has been completed by the student but some part of the student’s work remains to be completed at the end of the term.
  • An “I” may be assigned to a student who, in the judgment of the instructor, is unable to complete a course due to a verified unforeseeable emergency.
  • The student has up to one year (determined by the instructor) to resolve the Incomplete. 
  • To request an Incomplete, please work with your Instructor. If they agree, they will need to follow the procedures to issue an Incomplete grade and submit the appropriate form to the Admissions & Records Office. 

“EW” (Excused Withdrawal) - An “Excused Withdrawal” is student-initiated and occurs when a student is permitted to withdraw from a course(s) due to specific events beyond the control of the student affecting his or her ability to complete a course(s)

  • Some examples of acceptable reasons include: Illness in the family where the student is the primary caregiver; Death of an immediate family member; and Chronic or acute illness
  • Acceptable reasons for excused withdrawal must have verifiable supporting documentation. Verifiable documentation can include, but is not limited to a note from a doctor stating the student is not currently able to complete the work due to illness, employment verification of a new job, a booking report, police report of an accident, or any other documentation that proves the student’s completion of a course is impractical. The California Community College Chancellor’s Office defines impractical as impossible due to reasons beyond the student’s control.
  • An EW Grade is student-initiated and may be requested by the student any time after the drop date and no later than the date when the district policy allows a grade change (i.e. three years after the term in which the grade is submitted.
  • Students wishing to request an ‘EW’ grade must submit an Academic Exception Petition (link inactive) along with documentation showing why the student is not able to complete the course(s)
  • For additional information, please refer to the catalog.

Support for Students

If you are sick due to COVID-19 we can assist you with online services.

For Academic Advising and Social-Emotional Support please reach out to:

  1. Counseling
  2. DSPS
  4. Health and Wellness Center
  5. Veterans Services

 For Basic Needs and Financial Support, students can reach out to:

  1. The Student Success Team  
  2. Financial Aid
  3. Foundation Emergency Grant Application
  4. The Family Services Association of Redlands. They have a Weekly Food Box Drive-Thru. A designee can pick up food for someone that lives in San Bernardino County).
    1. Click here to register

For Academic Support

  1. Library Services
  2. Online Tutoring

The faculty and staff at CHC are ready to support you during this unique time.

Keith Wurtz Vice President of Instruction

Delmy Spencer Vice President of Student Services