AB540 California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request for Eligible California High School Graduates.

General Information:

Any student, other than a nonimmigrant alien, who meets all of the following requirements, shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition at the California Community Colleges, the California State University and the University of California (all Public colleges and universities in California).


  • The student must have attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years.
  • The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalency prior to the start of the term (for example, passing the GED or California High School Proficiency Exam).
  • An alien student who is without lawful immigration status must file an affidavit with the college or university stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.
  • Students who are nonimmigrant's (for example, those who hold F (student) visas, B (visitor) visas, etc.) are not eligible for this exemption.
  • The student must file an exemption request including a signed affidavit with the college that indicates the student has met all applicable conditions described above. Student information obtained in this process is strictly confidential unless disclosure is required under law.
  • Students eligible for this exemption who are transferring to another California public college or university must submit a new request (and documentation if required) to each college under consideration.
  • Nonresident students meeting the criteria will be exempted from the payment of nonresident tuition, but they will not be classified as California residents. They continue to be “nonresidents.”
  • AB 540 does not provide student financial aid eligibility for undocumented students. These students remain ineligible for state and federal financial aid.

Procedures for requesting this exemption from non-resident tuition at Crafton Hills College:


  1. If you are a new or returning student, submit an Application for Admission to Crafton Hills College.
  2. Fill out and sign the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request Form. Staple it to the application for admission to Crafton Hills College.
  3. Attach official high school transcripts showing completion of at least three years in a California high school.
  4. Students that did not graduate from a California high school, but attained the equivalent, must attach a copy of their GED, or Certificate of Proficiency. (You must show proof that you have graduated from a California high school or have attained the equivalent thereof, such as a High School Equivalency Certificate, issued by the California State GED Office or a Certificate of Proficiency, resulting from the California High School Proficiency Examination).
  5. Submit all required forms and documentation to the Admissions & Records Office.