Generally students may take a course only once. Students may repeat a course:
- If the course number includes the notation x2, x3, or x4, then the course may be taken
2, 3, or 4 times,
- If the course has been designed as an activity course and where it is found that the
course content differs each time it is offered to enhance the skills and proficiencies
of the student. These courses may not be
repeated more than three (3) semesters. Such courses include, but are not limited to the following:
- Physical Education courses,
- Visual and Performing Arts courses in music,
- Fine arts, theater or dance,
- Career/Technical courses.
- If the course is necessary to meet a legally mandated training requirement as a condition of continued paid or volunteer employment.
- If the student earned a substandard grade (“D”, “F” or “NP”), he/she may repeat the
course two times in an
effort to alleviate the substandard academic work. The most recent grade earned will be computed in the
cumulative GPA and the student’s academic record so annotated (previous grade will not count). Students may repeat the course more than two times only upon approval though the college’s petition process.
- If the student earned a standard grade (“A”, “B”, “C” or “P”), he/she may repeat the course one time only upon approval through the college’s petition process. Grades issued under this petition will not be counted in the computation of the GPA.
- If there has been a significant lapse of time since the student earned credit for
the course and another
institution of higher education to which the student seeks to transfer has established a recency requirement
which the student will not be able to satisfy without repeating the course, the student may repeat the course
upon approval through the college’s petition process.
- Courses in which an incomplete (“I”) has been recorded may not be repeated until a letter grade has been recorded.
- Student permanent records shall reflect all work attempted so that the student’s transcript is a true and complete academic record.
(SBCCD Administrative Procedure 4225, 4227; Title 5 sections 55040-43)