Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Skip to main content

Come get your taxes done for FREE!

February 9 – April 6

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, sponsored by the Accounting program at Crafton Hills College and the Internal Revenue Service, provides free tax preparation services to individuals and families earning less than $55,000 a year who need assistance in preparing their own returns. VITA volunteers are CHC students who have completed a rigorous IRS-sponsored training and are certified by the IRS to provide free basic income tax assistance including free electronic filing.

The VITA site will be open Saturday from 9 a.m. to Noon in the Central Complex (CNTL), Room 119 on the Crafton Hills College campus beginning February 9 through April 6 (except Saturdays February 16 and March 16). No appointment is necessary. Free parking is available to taxpayers on campus (closest parking lot is Lot E). 

Taxpayers should bring the following items to the VITA site to receive assistance on their returns:

  • Proof of identification (photo ID)
  • Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents 
  • An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
  • Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
  • Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements
  • Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable


* It is extremely important that each person use the correct Social Security Number. The most accurate information is usually located on your original Social Security card. If you do not have an SSN for you or a dependent, you should complete Form SS-5, Social Security Number Application. This form should be submitted to the nearest Social Security Administration Office. If you or your dependent is not eligible to get a Social Security Number, you may need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

For more information about the VITA program, call 909-794-2161 or contact either of the site coordinators Jesse Portugal at jesse.portugal@portugalwong.com or Makalerina Tambunan at mtambunan@sbccd.cc.ca.us.