The Crafton Hills College 78th Basic Firefighter Training Academy still has space for interested candidates. The Academy begins January 22, 2013 and runs through April 18. The Academy can accommodate 25 enrollees. The new Academy Orientation is January 9th.
The Fire Academy is a program which satisfies those basic skills requirements that lead to certification as a Firefighter I with the State Fire Marshal’s Office. CHC Fire Academy is accredited through the California State Fire Marshal’s Office. The Fire Academy is a Full-time Academy. The Academy starts at 6 a.m. and ends at 6:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, and occasional Saturdays for 13 weeks.
The program is 16 units: 14 for the academy and 2 units for the Basic Firefighter Physical Fitness class. The academy includes the CalFire Wild Fire Academy, providing those who complete the training with a Wildland Firefighter certificate, and permitting qualified graduates to be hired as reservists in the Yucaipa. This is a unique offering, and helps new Academy grads get their foot in the door for positions.
Academy training means that graduates are qualified as firefighters, but they are often also hired for related types of work; options include fire safety inspectors, prevention specialists, educators and dispatchers.
- Applications are available online at the CHC Fire Technology website OR on www.craftonhills.edu, click on Fire Academy Applications for Spring (under News)
- For an appointment, call the Chief Dan Sullivan at 909-389-3408 or 909-389-3262 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. An appointment is mandatory. Additional information will be provided by the Chief of the department.
PRE-REQUISITES FOR ACADEMY:
- Fire Protection Organization – FIRET 100 or Equivalent
- Fire Prevention Technology – FIRET 101 or Equivalent
- Current copy of EMT Certification, (National Registry card or local EMSA card)
- Completed Medical Clearance for Firefighters
- Physical Abilities test certificate (C-PAT or Biddle) taken after Sept. 1, 2012
- Completion of the CHC English and Math Placement Test.
Call 909-389-3267 for dates and times. A degree is accepted in place of PLACEMENT TEST.
- Successful Interview with the Academy Chief.
The Crafton Hills College Fire Academy began in September 1982 and is recognized state-wide for the quality and professionalism of its graduates who are employed by fire and other first responder organizations across California – many here in the Inland Empire. A special celebration will take place this spring to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the fire academy.
For additional information, please contact Rick Groff, Crafton Hills College Fire Academy at 909-389-3408 or after hours at 909-499-5002.