A student receiving a degree in this field will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to read and write standard notation: Given a piece of music in standard notation, demonstrate the ability to read and perform, ability to construct a Baroque style 4 voice harmonic progression.
- Perform at a College Level: Demonstrate through jury, ensemble performance, or recital the ability to play a piece from the body of Western Classical Literature.
- Demonstrate the basic ability to analyze music: Given a Bach chorale (or similar), demonstrate the ability to analyze harmonic concepts.
- Identify historical and cultural events and persons within Western music: Demonstrate (through exam, portfolio or project) a general knowledge of composers, dates, time periods, and instrument histories from the Middle Ages through 21st Century.
- Sight sing and dictate melodic and harmonic progressions: Demonstrate through proficiency exam the ability to sigh sing tonal melodies and intervals to the octave.
- Perform proficiently on the piano: Demonstrate the ability to play Major and minor scales, chords, arpeggios and Common Practice Era literature on the piano.
Fine Arts Web Site
Please see the College Catalog for information and requirements.
Course Listing / Semester Course Offerings