A student receiving a degree in this field will be able to:
- Demonstrate language proficiency by writing and speaking Spanish at a beginning to intermediate level
- Interpret written and spoken messages in Spanish at a beginning to intermediate level
- Demonstrate appropriate knowledge of the Spanish-speaking world regarding social interactions, beliefs, values, arts, literature, music and geography
- Define the concept of culture, appreciate other cultures and interact with members of those cultures in relation to their own
- Apply their knowledge of Spanish language and culture beyond the classroom in interactions within multicultural communities and the world
The mission of the foreign language program is to provide students with the necessary skills to read, write, speak, and comprehend a foreign language at beginning intermediate levels. This mission is realized through quality teaching in the target language, tutoring services, comprehensive online language programs, and the opportunity to participate in Spanish Club activities.
Major Sheet - AA
In addition to the program’s mission and its provision of transfer level courses which meet the foreign language requirements of CSU, UC and many other four-year institutions, other goals of the program are to provide students with the foreign language survival skills necessary for successful entry into a multicultural workforce and to promote student interest, understanding, and participation in the many diverse cultural activities available to them in the community and abroad.
Please see the College Catalog for information and requirements.
Course Listing / Semester Course Offerings